kay, so you want whiter teeth. That’s obviously why you’ve landed on this article. I bet that as you scroll through your Instagram feed and spot those influencers boldly displaying their chalk-white dentition, you sometimes wonder what it is you’re forgetting to do. After all, teeth so white have been your dream for ages and you’ve done all that’s in your power to make this dream a reality.
But you’re not alone in this. Considering that in 2015, Americans spent over $11 billion on teeth whitening, including over $1.4 billion on at-home whitening products, then clearly, a substantial number of people aren’t pleased with the current color of their teeth. Of course, seeking to improve the color of your dentition doesn’t mean you aren’t accepting yourself. A little whiter teeth never hurt anybody.
Yellow teeth have proven to be a huge confidence shrinker, but actually, what causes it? We will begin with the causes of the dreaded yellow teeth because as they say, in order to fix a problem, you must know the cause.
What makes teeth yellowish?
A number of reasons could cause teeth to become dull and lose their bright, white sparkle. Some of which are:
- Certain food like red wine, curry, cola, etc., stain your enamel (the outermost layer of the teeth). Thus, causing yellow teeth.
- Additionally, plaque buildup on the teeth can cause them to look yellow as well.
- The teeth can look yellow because the hard enamel wears off with age revealing the ‘dentin‘ underneath. Dentin is a naturally yellow, bony tissue that lies underneath the enamel.
Whether business or pleasure, a smile can create a lasting impression but what if you don’t feel confident enough to smile? Well, rather than be perceived as a person who puts up a fake smile, there are a few at-home ways you can whiten your teeth for that perfectly great smile.
Check out 6 at-home ways to whiten your teeth easily and effectively…
#1. Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide
Making a mixture of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide can remove plaque buildup and bacteria to get rid of stains.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide to make a paste.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with water after brushing with this combo. You can also use the same ingredients to make a mouthwash, only this time, the consistency should be watery enough to mimic a mouthwash.
#2. Use apple cider vinegar to whiten your teeth
Apple cider vinegar can be used in very small amounts to whiten teeth.
- Make a mouthwash by mixing 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with 6 ounces of water.
- Gaggle the solution for 30 seconds. Then rinse with lukewarm water and brush your teeth normally.
#3. Reduce consumption of teeth-staining foods and drinks
Foods such as dark berries and drinks such as coffee, red wine, and soda are known offenders. That is to say that they are serious culprits when it comes to staining teeth. Enjoy them, but in moderation, and rinse your mouth with water afterward. That way, there’s less chance they’ll affect your teeth. Remember to wait 30 minutes after consuming any of the above stated before brushing in order to protect the enamel.
#4. Try activated charcoal tooth mask
Charcoal possesses abrasive components which dentists recommend that you use as a mask rather than a toothpaste. Charcoal is highly absorbent and is able to effectively mix with surface stains, and then lift them away (yes it’s just as effective and safe).
- Make the paste by mixing together half a tablespoon of activated charcoal with just enough water to make it paste-like.
- Apply it to your teeth. Let it sit for three minutes, and then rinse it away.
#5. Quit smoking
The harmful side effects of smoking can never be over-emphasized. Smokers are not just liable to die young, but their teeth are liable to be ‘yellow-er‘ than anyone else’s. It’s the tar and tobacco found in nicotine that rapidly yellows smokers’ teeth. So, if for no other reason than vanity, do yourself a favor and stop lighting up. Not only will your teeth look better, but your breath, heart, and lungs will also be grateful. It’s a win-win situation, you can’t go wrong.
#6. Practice good oral hygiene
Practicing good oral hygiene also helps to keep your teeth looking white for longer. Brush your teeth at least twice daily, floss at least once daily to remove plaque, and rinse with an antiseptic mouthwash at least once a day to kill bacteria that cause plaque.
Adopt these tips and you’re well on your way to that sparkly teeth life. To whiten your teeth wasn’t so hard after all.
Featured image: Isaiah McClean | Unsplash
For the latest in fashion, lifestyle and culture, follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_
A creative writer with a voracious appetite for fashion, beauty, lifestyle and culture. As one who's passionate about the advancement of the woman, creating content that inspire smart style and living, and positive lifestyle changes is a calling I take seriously. At Style Rave, we aim to inspire our readers by providing engaging content to not just entertain but to inform and empower you as you ASPIRE to become more stylish, live smarter and be healthier. Follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_ ♥